Recent content by Mickman

1. M

Opposing props 'boring in'

I was called on at last minute yesterday to cover a game and had an issue with one side of the scrum in the first half. Loose head (gold), tight head (green) are both on a big 'IN' angle. The rest of the front row for both sides - good and square. First scrum, I blow it up as scrum folds in...
  2. M

Season over...

A few mixed feelings at the moment as I have had to take a job in Broken Hill (Far West NSW, some 1,400 kms away from my home town) till the end of the year and there is no rugby out there:wow:!!!. Nearest competition is about 1000km round trip. So after a really enjoyable season and some real...
  3. M

Skydiving!!

Skydiving!! Anyone made a jump? Big birthday coming up next week and I have talked myself into having a skydive to celebrate!! I have never really been the thrill seeking type (I was the always the last one in my family to go on the rollercoasters at Disneyland, Dreamworld etc but since doing a...
  4. M

Maul but defense penalised for not releasing!?

Didn't referee yesterday as was crook most of the week so went down to home club to watch instead. Main game of the day. Red ball carrier held by one Green player, 2 or 3 join from each side creating maul. Red player carrying ball gets knees to ground after some struggling, Green moving...
  5. M

Pre-match rituals/ music?

Always used to have a favourite CD/ song list I used to have playing in the car on the way to the ground when I used to play (turned up nice and loud). Just wondering if anyone has a similar pre-match ritual? Have they changed from playing to refereeing days? While I was in London, pre-game...
  6. M

Latest Report

Haven't had many reports done so feel ok about this one - even though there may be a lot to work on. Didn't get to debrief after the game (as Coach had to leave for Representative carnival and I ARd next game) but have cleared up decision of dis-allowed QT - thrower was IN the FoP. Description...
  7. M

Legal or not?

Hello All, Does anyone know whether it is legal for juniors to 'lay the egg' use 'squeeze ball' in games? I am not a fan of it at any level but especially for juniors because of how the player must put their head and neck on ground towards the defence and in my opinion, the increased chance of...
  8. M

When it rains it pours!!!

Coaching an u15s side for my club. Inherited them from a parent who has coached them for the last few years and just wants a year be able to watch and not have the responsibility of training and all other facets that come with coaching. They are a very skillful bunch and play with level heads...
  9. M

Lineout where?

General play outside 22m. Blue win tackle/ ruck ball. Blue 9 passes back in to 22m to Blue 10 for clearing kick. Red 10 attempt charge down but only touches ball in flight (does not charge down) after Blue 10 kicks. Ball lands out of play on full. Where is the line-out and which team throws in?
  10. M

Honour board in some books?

First game of the season for two teams in a local second tier senior competition (my fourth), Green vs Blue. 5 :noyc: in all. 3 to green, 2 to blue. 1. Green :noyc: - deliberate infringment; 10 mins in, blue attacking 10m from goal line, green 8 lying in/ next to ruck, 'flings' ball back to...
  11. M

Got skills??

I don't get to watch anywhere near as many Super 15 games as I would like but this was a great game with THIS little added extra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVaBsIVnxnM P.S. I get to be there when the NSW Waratahs vs QLD Reds battle it out this Easter Saturday at Suncorp stadium in...
  12. M

When is a ''punch'' NOT a ''punch''?

A red player throws a "punch" at a blue player BUT does NOT connect. How would you handle this situation?
  13. M

Not sure where to go with this?

:confused: Hmmmmmm :chin: ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpXymuwxNs&feature=related
  14. M

Going to see a match of the round ball game

No game today so and it's my last weekend in London before I head back to Aus. Figure I need to experience at least one soccer (sorry FOOTBALL) match so heading to 'the Den' this afternoon to see Millwall vs Cardiff City. I have been given a heads up that the supporters today aren't going to be...
  15. M

How much time left sir? Last play...

What's everyone's point of view when teams are watching the clock? Thinking especially when you have a close game and either team asks how much time is left? Generally find this around PK or restart after a score, and another score either way could determine the winner. Just curious whether...