Recent content by Donal1988

1. Donal1988

Gold v Blue Colts League Match

Hi everyone, Refereed a colts level game this morning Gold v Blue. Captains joked with me at the coin toss that there were a few hungover heads after Munster v Northampton and the mood seemed jovial - Blue captain suggested his props were very inexperienced and stressed they may need to go...
  2. Donal1988

Is it In/Out of the 22

If there is a ruck/scrum in which the hindmost foot is touching the 22m is that ruck/scrum in the 22m. If it is kicked out will it lead to gain in ground. Take a scrum where the mark is outside the 22 but number 8s feet is in the 22. Has the ball been brought back in or is the scrum in the 22?
  3. Donal1988

Intention to Kick at Goal

Penalty Kick is awarded. The offending player and his team retreat back 10m. Red #10 picks up the ball and makes a mark on the ground using his heel. Green team turn their back assuming he is kicking at goal. Red#10 taps the ball and runs off down the wing. Do you: a) Play on; Green shouldn't...
  4. Donal1988

Discount Team Tours for RugbyRefs.com Members

Dear RugbyRefs.com Members I've been lucky enough recently to get a management position for an international rugby touring agency. As you'll know I love my refereeing and have been able to take in coaching work in Europe, Ireland and Africa in the last few years. I just wanted to put it out...
  5. Donal1988

Sean O'Brien Stamps on Donnacha Ryan

Incident is right in front of referee so I assume that he has seen it and is happy with it. There is no citing so I assume thats the correct call. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOivIPe8NYc Watch the actions of Sean O'Brien - he stamps on Donnacha Ryan at least 6 times, including stamping his...
  6. Donal1988

Scrum for Referee Obstruction After a Kick

I know what the law says about it but today I refereed a game where a fullback made a clearance kick, and was running to put players onside. Almost immediately I turned to observe who was on/off and completely smashed him. I awarded a scrum to him at place of the contact. Would others have...
  7. Donal1988

Relaxing Standards for Friendly Games?

I refereed a good level match last night between a touring English side and the home Irish team. I finished the match with 2 reds and 2 yellows. In the opening quarter one of the Irish players dropped his shoulder and smashed into a guy after he made a tackle. He used his elbow for extra effect...
  8. Donal1988

"Let Him Up" Explanation and Confusion

Refereed an enjoyable fixture yesterday. At one stage a ball was kicked and player dived on it. His whole team shouted "HE HAS TO LET HIM UP" - no opposition player was nearby so he got to his feet and kicked away possession. After game at the bar: Captain: He does have to let him up doesn't...
  9. Donal1988

Pick and Drive Scoring

This morning in New Zealand v Japan, the Kiwis just scored in a manner that I've seen countless times over the years - there was a ruck close to goal line, a player who was in the ruck quickly picked up the ball and dives over line to score, try awarded without hesitation - I felt the player...
  10. Donal1988

TJ doesn't get number

How did I handle this situation. Blue v White, Cup Final. I pinged a late tackle on kicker by Blue in opening 5 minutes. A penalty for obstruction followed quickly and there was a late tackle on the stroke at half time. I issued a severe warning to Blue that foul play ends now and if it happened...
  11. Donal1988

Medal Presentation at Cup Final

Hi everyone I refereed a cup match last week. A rant more than a question. Score was Blue 17-0 White. White coach was muttering to the team after the game that they were better team, that ref (me) didn't help them and was favouring the other team etc. White were presented with silver medals and...
  12. Donal1988

Dissenting FK

I was running touch today and this happened. The decision feels awkward and I want to get clarity. - Referee awarded FK awarded at scrum to White on half way line. - Black #4 dissents the decision and the referee marches him back 10. - White captain asks referee if he can kick for touch...
  13. Donal1988

Rugby Blog

Hi Guys You might have no interest if so thats fine. But if you fancy taking a look at a rugby blog I would say to click into the one I've created. I've had a look at some other rugby blogs from other posters - I am a fan of The Rugby Ref blog and I would also recommend reading that. As I say...
  14. Donal1988

Law Test

Hi All, We had a very challenging law test at our weekly meeting last week. Anyone fancy a go at it? 1 - Blue winger in possession deliberately knees the ball over the heads of the advancing White defenders, regains the ball and dives over in the corner. Decision? 2 - Red have a scrum on the...
  15. Donal1988

Ireland v England

Two things that Mr Lawrence did I'd like to ask about - Ben Youngs yellow card. Was it for throwing the ball into the crowd preventing a QT or was it for throwing the ball into touch? Seemed harsh at first glance. I'd have happily settled for a lineout to Ireland and a warning. There was no...