Recent content by MiniRef

1. M

[Law] Minute to go - Penalty kick - slow preparation - kick to touch

Red team winning by one point and there's one minute left on the clock. Red awarded a penalty on half way line. Red indicate to go for posts, TJs go to posts, Red Number 10 lines up, clearly takes his time to run down the clock. Ref tells him he's nearly out of time, then the 10 kicks the ball...
  2. M

[Law] Two Yellow offences = red?

I watched a match on Saturday which got me thinking. Green penalised for offside, Gold SH takes quick tap and is immediately lifted, taken through horizontal and dropped onto his shoulder. Ref gave YC to offending Green for dangerous tackle. This occurred around the half way line. So, assuming...
  3. M

Bad language

I watched my own 2nds on Saturday. After the opposition scored, the scorer ran back and shouted at his team (about 2 metres from the ref and about 5 metres from touchline) something like "More boys. Let's get these f**king c**nts". The ref "had a word" and the player ran on. 10 seconds later...
  4. M

Squeezeball during advantage

U15 match. Green attacking, about 10 metres from try line. Ref calls Gold offside, penalty. Penalty taken quickly and ball carrier is tackled by Gold player not 10. Ref calls "Not 10, playing penalty advantage", Green player goes to ground (as a result of the tackle) and uses squeezeball to get...
  5. M

Peeing on the pitch

Not sure where to post this one... I watched a seniors' match yesterday where, at half time, the teams gathered into their own circles. Then, the prop from one team turned his back on the cirle (to face away from the centre of the circle) and urinated on the pitch, just where he stood. The ref...
  6. M

Help - daughter seeking dissertation! Changes to mini/midi?

My daughter is soon to eneter her 3rd year at Uni, doing a Sports Coaching qualification. She is seeking a topic for her dissertation. I understand that the RFU is piloting a new coaching scheme for minis & midis, which will radically alter the coaching of rugby. She was wondering if there may...
  7. M

Holding shirt from behind- high tackle?

U17 game last week. Good game, no incidents. Red (big) player runs, with ball, towards Yellow (not so big) player. Yellow attempts a legitimate tackle but is fended off to the side. Yellow ends up grabbing the Red player's shirt between the shoulder blades (below the line of the shoulders) and...
  8. M

U16 - fight - sub attempts to join in

U16 game at the weekend (I was watching!). Fight broke out between 3 or 4 of each side. Ref split them up, no issue. But one of the subs ran 60 metres to join in. By the time he got there, the sides were separated and so he didn't attempt to join in, and then trotted back. Ref didn't see this...
  9. M

LO on 22; gain in ground after kick?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (can't find it) but.. Line out on the 22. Won by defending team who then kick to touch. Is there a gain in ground? As a variation, does it make a difference if LO is 6" outside the 22 such that the defending team are inside the 22 but the (straight)...
  10. M

ADHD Player

U16 match. 13 a side due to low numbers. Yellow v Red. 15 minutes into a good game, penalty against Yellow for holding on. The penalised player and his opposite number square up, threaten to deck each other with stream of F words. I call the two players over and, whilst walking to me, they...
  11. M

Referees and CRB Checks

I've just received this email from the RFU and thought it would be useful to share. Bottom line is that refs no longer have to be CRB cleared to do mini & junior games. Please note this is for your information - A recent Government review, carried out by Sunita Mason, into the CRB and vetting...
  12. M

U13 and U12 together?

Can U13 and U12 train together, and take part in a training match together? (presumably using U12 age grade regulations re: no hand offs, pitch size, 6 man scrum etc)? Or are they specifically barred from this? If so, please can somebody tell me where? Thanks.
  13. M

Sinned bin player back on the field!

Player binned who is subsequently spotted, on the field of play, wearing a different numbered jersey. How would you deal with this, and would your approach be different if a junior game?
  14. M

Ball hits corner flag from penalty kick

Blue team have a penalty and kick to touch and the ball hits the corner flag and bounces back into play? - what's the decision? I think it's Play on.
  15. M

Tour protocol (plaques, ties)

Please can anyone advise me here? When on tour, or receiving a team on tour, we have a plaque/pennant for exchange. We also have a club tie for exchange with the captains. What about when the two clubs meet again, in either the same age group or a different age group (where age group may be...