Search results

1. C

What does your main kit look like?

Here, play "spot the second touch judge!" The bloke modelling the gear has rolled his sleeves up, which hide the blue cuffs. At least half the clubs play in some of blue, white, or yellow. Alternate strip? Ha!
  2. C

Judiciary time...

I get to visit the judiciary tonight about the player I set off on Sunday. There's a whole lot of awkward between me and this player (turns out I used to date his brother - before I was a ref.) But the whole judiciary thing comprises of so many of the things I hate most. - Formal clothing -...
  3. C

Girls in the boys locker room!

Posting this as I wait in the freezing cold for my shower... How freaked would you blokes be if the famale ref/TJ jumped into the gang shower room when you were there - provided you were in shorts or undies and she was wearing a one-piece swimsuit and rugby shorts? (my togs are basic navy...
  4. C

Vote For Me!

I'm in the running to win a couple of scholarships, one of which is people's choice award. But I really need you all to vote for me, and get your friends to vote for me, and anyone you can point towards a computer. http://www.doyourthing.co.nz/2011-01366/trish-plunket This is where I make...
  5. C

Anaerobic training

Cos I know it can be hard to get decent anaerobic training in, I thought I'd be nice and share with you all the exercise I partook in this evening. (Note - Endorphines from this may make you less grumpy) This is best done on an actual rugby pitch, so you can get a feel for working through leg...
  6. C

Joost diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease

Missed this one in the news, but Springbok legend Joost van der Westhuizen has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease. Which is the same thing Stephen Hawking has. It somehow seems perverse that a guy who was so tough could end up so physically crippled just a little while into the future. I...
  7. C

Society problems

-----
  8. C

Red Card worthy?

Schoolboys age, near the end of first half - Red player grabs a blue player and starts yanking him over and out of a ruck by the collar/shirt. He does this at such an angle and with such force that the blue player's shirt comes off. The blue player tries to move away afterward, obviously not...
  9. C

Volunteers?

Anyone in the country for the WC should volunteer. Mostly because theyre well short of target... And because it will be intense fun to just be part of something this big. I'm a photo assistant in Dunedin... And that means being sideline!:bday:
  10. C

Expectations

When I read through some of the threads, I get the feeling some ref's have either much higher expectations or much nicer appointments on average. I just wonder what other refs expectations are when they show up to a ground? Mine are... Things I absolutely expect 1. The teams will have gear...
  11. C

Being taken out

Yesterday I was TJing, and got hit by a very large player, causing not insignificant knee damage (today it looks epic, blue and red and puffy.) The crowd was roped back, but the roped area was small, and the crowd pushed it forward. There was simply nowhere to go when this guy slid over the...
  12. C

Securing your gear

A lot of the club/ground buildings here are old, or non-existent. Meaning you have to store your gear somewhere not secure. Last week a fellow referee went back to the refs room to find his wallet had been taken from his bag. He had locked the zips together, so the thief broke the zip. I've had...
  13. C

Woot woot!

Powered by diet coke and yoghurt raisins, I have finished epic assignment of doom!:bday: I am rewarding myself with custard and comic books. Then I'll have to get on with the other two due this week...:sad:
  14. C

Pet peeves

Two games in a freezing rain at a park where if you drew a line south the only thing youd hit before Antarctica is the beach. I was wet, cold, leg weary and hungry. And everyone else got a shower. Except me. Next time I'm going to pack my swim gears and shower in them. Hat's everyone else's...
  15. C

Fear and loathing in Dunedin

16. C

How not to take it personally?

Schools rugby starts tomorrow, and I keep thinking back to my car-crash game last season. Schoolgirls rugby (trust me, they're worse than the boys). Half time, and it was going like a dream. Great skills, great temperament, few penalties... I went and congratulated the teams and told them to...
  17. C

What not to do

Saw this last season. Last minute of the game - blatant spear tackle. What TO do - Give a red card and cop the paperwork. What NOT to do - Ignore it because it's "the last minute of the game." Especially - when it's a schoolboys game. Especially especially - when the tackled player is hurt...
  18. C

Looking to have a summer reffing holiday

Or something like it. Basically I finish university in November 2011, and would like to do some refereeing in the Northern Hemisphere to kill time between that and starting postgrad in February. Essentially I am looking to get in contact with a society or association that is willing to help...