Search results

1. W

CRC 7 Championship

What was the justification to YC the Kutztown player at the end of the second half? I didn't have sound on the TV and couldn't hear what possible explanation there was. The red player looked to have legally poached the ball after the tackle when the Cal player grabbed on around the neck...
  2. W

Goal Line Stand Penalties

Low level college game. Red has a 7 point lead in the final minutes. Blue are attacking 3 meters out. Penalty advantage to Blue for Red not rolling away followed by penalty awarded to Blue for hands in the ruck. Time off for a player down and warn Red captain about penalties. Blue...
  3. W

Is the rugby spirit still there?

Best perk. After a fine game, the losing home team players didn't care to socialize but their cook was did a heck of a job smoking the wings and grilling the brats. He put the icing on the cake with this. Especially nice as with my company car, I'm not allowed one drink.
  4. W

Substitutions

Under 3.12.a, can a player come back on if there are other suitably trained subs available? The way the coached asked, it seemed a little fishy that they were planning on the sub getting hurt and then he did. In this particular case, it wasn't a big deal but I could see this abused.
  5. W

Melbourne vs Brisbane

A position opened up in my company and I've been asked if it is something I would like to do. It would be in Melbourne (Deer Park) or Brisbane (Murarrie). Any thoughts about life in these two places? Thanks!
  6. W

Missed the social

I really did want to make it to the social, but maybe it's better that I couldn't stick around. At least on the field, not a bad team. Hopefully this isn't the end for them. http://www.lex18.com/news/eku-men-s-rugby-team-suspended-after-hazing-allegation-307508/
  7. W

Time for a break

First game this weekend was a reasonable high school game. No significant events other than a Green player being tackled at the goal line. As he grounds the ball, he loses control and the ball bounces three feet in the air. Clearly downward pressure and a try. After the game, the two teams...
  8. W

Rugby in Louisville

It looks Louisville may be in my future. Can any of you East Coasters (yes, Kentucky/Indiana is East Coast to me) say what kind of referee opportunities are in the area?
  9. W

Receiver entering a lineout

My understanding is that for 15's, once the numbers have been set the receiver can only enter the lineout prior to the throw if another player drops back to the receiver position. The 2011 Refereeing 7's Handbook says there is no requirement for a player to drop back to the receiver position...
  10. W

Gridiron techniques at the ruck

For those familiar with American football, here is a question. After a tackle, Black player steps over the ball as Red player comes into contact for what should be a ruck. Red player gets underneath the Black player pops the Black player as a defensive end would do in a gridiron game (arms...
  11. W

Rivalry Match

I coming up on cross town rivalry match that has been quite acrimonious in the past. At the coin toss, I tell the captains I am looking for them to keep their teams in line. Should I make a greater mention of limiting dissent and off the ball shenanigans or will that just start things off on a...
  12. W

USA Rugby Game Management Tackle

Does anyone else see the top two scenarios on the left as eerily similar to the accepted sequence on the right? The message I get is if you drive the player already off his feet, everything is dandy.
  13. W

Player on the ground

Muddy field. Off a ruck, Black work the ball the through their backs. Black #10 passes to Black #12 but Black #12 misses. In the open field without a player within 10m, Black #13 tries to change direction and falls down. The ball bounces right to him. Is it overly pendantic to penalize him...
  14. W

Punching ball out over DBL

I've seen some comments on this but couldn't find the threads. Red #12 had a beautiful run from midfield. He crossed the try line and before he could get to ground, blue punched the ball out and it flew about 20 meters over the dead ball line. Red #12 was more than a little :o Would this...
  15. W

Drop out question

13.17 (a) The opposing team must not charge over 22-meter line before the ball is kicked. Sanction: FK 13.17 (b) If an opponent is on the wrong side of the 22-meter line and delays or obstructs the drop-out, the player is guilty of misconduct. Sanction: PK If a player charges over the line...
  16. W

More than just a red card

My local union suggested we not use this technique when admonishing a player. http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/837497-referee-starts-riot-by-sending-off-player-then-punching-him-in-the-face
  17. W

Captain Effectiveness

All levels of rugby in my area have been struggling a bit with rugby culture in the last couple of years. This year, there is a concerted effort to right the ship at the U19 level. Last week, I had one of the matches that challenged the culture (foul language, unsportsmanlike behavior and a...
  18. W

Disruptive People

After some boorish behavior by players, coaches and spectators, there was the inevitable discussion as to what a referee can do. At least Oregon has removed any doubt as to the ability of a referee to get the problem people out of the area. 164.276 - Authority of sports official to expel...
  19. W

Scores

For the second time this season, I have had a coach not tally the score correctly. In the first instance, the coach did not count an opposition penalty kick and ended up losing the game by 1 point when he thought they were up by two. The second instance was a U-19 game. The touch judges...
  20. W

Cancellations

Out of my last four weeks, I've had three last minute cancellations. :mad: One was because the premiere local club was behind on referee dues. A beautiful spring day and I watched the game with friends as a player called the game. Then a college playoff was cancelled the day before. This...