Search results

1. G

Interfering with the jumper

Hi all Quick question about the rights of the jumper. I always thought that the jumper, when airborne, could not be touched by an opponent - yet more and more we see the contest in the air getting increasingly physical. Am I getting overly pedantic in my old age? Also, if a catcher has the...
  2. G

Wanted - Wireless mic kit

Call out to any society hierarchy assessors..... I'm looking to acquire a wireless mic and receiver kit but don't want to go to the expense of £500 for a new one as I won't be using it heavily. If any society has a set that it is looking to dispose of, and are interested in either giving it...
  3. G

University project help required

Hi all Due to some last minute cancellations, I'm looking for some Level 1 or Level 2 qualified rugby union coaches within Buckinghamshire who would be willing to be interviewed for my University dissertation. The topic is coaching reflection (or lack of). I will need about 1 hour of your...
  4. G

not support their own weight?

Watched a match the other day and one side were winning a lot of turnover ball. This was how they did it: tackled player presented ball ball OK, lying horizontally across pitch, ball in line with stomach, and a c.2foot gap between body and ball first defender to arrive would lean over and...
  5. G

Football vs Rugby : proof

At Uni today... Conversation about the booing of Australia kicker @ twickenham at the weekend. Football coach says "what a load of crap. You guys are totally up yourself. It's part of sport if you want to boo the opposition." There was no answer to that! I smiled. :rolleyes:
  6. G

What are some coaches on????

OK, not refereeing related, but was delivering a premier rugby coach class the other day and introducing a "to-be" U10s group to contested scrums. I planned to start off doing uncontested whilst I worked on binding etc. and only moving on to the contesting bit once I was happy. So, we come to...
  7. G

Penalty in injury time

High level county game yesterday black awarded a penalty in injury time 10m from blue line black opt for "scrum" referee says "not an option" and then seems to say "there isn't time", although that part wasn't that audible. I thought scrums were a valid option on a penalty, so was the ref...
  8. G

London Double Header

Was at twickers today for the double header. Watched Saracens vs London Irish, then Wasps vs. Harlebloodcapsules. As ever, offside at the breakdown was largely ignored for most of the match (sentinals) and felt that both refs initially struggled with the new tackle law, often pinging the...
  9. G

Michael Jackson Dead

Exposure to sunshine, moonlight and good times ruled out: now coroners say cause of death was 'boogie'
  10. G

Chopper

Anyone seen / heard from Chopper since the end of the season? Or does he sleep from May - Sept? I miss his erudite (?) comments.
  11. G

RFU Refereeing Course in Buckinghamshire

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here goes. For anyone interested: ------------------------------------------------------ The Rugby Football Union is running an Entry Level Referee Award Course at Amersham & Chiltern RFC on June 11th at 7.30 , June 16 at 7.30 and Sunday June 21 for the...
  12. G

Holding Arm up, or not?

As a ex-scrum player, I agree wholeheartedly both with Brian's plea for straight feeds and the cause:effect that not refereeing it has. Like many things in modern life, the scrum has become a parody of itself as teams and players learn to work the system, the system adjusts a little bit, and...
  13. G

Kick-off

In my match yesterday.... green kick off with a grubber Before ball reaches 10m line, green player tries to pick it up. Makes a mess of it and knocks it forwards and upwards straight into the arms of red opponent who then legs it forward. I play advantage and red quickly get to half-way line...
  14. G

My first assessment

Had my first assessment on Saturday. I was delighted to have it, as I've been reffing for 5 months now and was getting worried I was getting in to bad habits. I was very pleased with the Assessor's feedback, both the +ve and especially the -ve. There was one bit of feedback that I wanted to...
  15. G

Reffing 7s - Any tips

Hi all I'm reffing my first 7s match tomorrow. Any words of wisdom for 7s reffing for your learned selves? Thanks
  16. G

Law 15: Tackle & Offside lines

I'm probably getting overly caught up on individual words: Law 15.6 (b) After a tackle any players on their feet may attempt to gain possession by taking the ball from the ball carriers possession Law 15.6 (c) At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from...
  17. G

Uncontested scrums & wheeling

LoTG state you cannot push in an uncontested scrum. Does not say you cannot wheel. However, is there any way that you can wheel a scrum without pushing? As a former flanker, such things never concerned me as I'd usually unbound early and run off past the off-side line to go and jump up and...
  18. G

Scrum helmets

Having played in an era where scrum hats were only just coming in, I've never worn one. How much do they impair hearing?
  19. G

Quick throw

Just wanted to see what others thought of this.... Team green have the throw. QT is eligible. Green send one man into the lineout Purple form up with the standard seven This is all happening pretty quickly, but not fast (i.e. slower than usual for a QT, but no slower than for a non-QT...
  20. G

Players back 10m

Had a senior match today (friendly), very boring to ref - one side played like frikkin' idiots and were totally outclassed by the opposition (80-odd nil in the the end) Anyway, to the point.... My management style - which I explain to capts, SH etc. before the game is that I won't call every...